Stéréoscope Standard

Home » Stereoscopes » Hand-held stereoscopes » Stéréoscope Standard

The Stéréoscope Standard is a feature-rich hand-held viewer. The stereoscope was one of the last designs patented by Albert Georges Mattey. The Stéréoscope Standard was available in the formats 45 x 107 mm, 6 x 13 cm and 7 x13 cm. The eyepieces with lenses are attached with a bayonet mount and can be replaced. The stereoscope can be equipped with ordinary or achromatic lenses, with a short, medium or long focus.

Metal frames were available for the 6 x 13 cm model so that 45 x 107 mm stereoviews could also be viewed1. The back of the viewer, which holds the ground glass, can be opened and provides space for colour filters to tint the stereoviews.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Mattey
Year of introduction:1927 (patent filed)
Year of manufacture:1927–c. 1940
Type:Hand-held
Viewer:Single-view
Serial number:None
Stereoview support:Glass and paper
Stereoview format:6 x 13 cm
Lens focussing:Yes
Inter-ocular adjustment:Yes
Eyepiece blinders:Yes
Dimensions (L x W x H):18 x 14 x 10.5 cm
Construction:Wood
Other features:Plate with Unis France – Standard – Stéréoscopes Paris.

Patent

Number:FR6355882
Title:Stéréoscope perfectionné
Filing date:07-06-1927
Publishing date:19-03-1928
Applicant(s):Albert Georges Mattey

Mattey
Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. The most important was the acquisition of Maison Legendre in 1902, which set the foundation for Mattey’s stereoscope business.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. It still manufactured stereoscopes in 1952, although the heydays of stereoscopy were over by then. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey

References
  1. Mattey (1936), Stéréoscopes 1936, p. 31 ↩︎
  2. Mattey, A. G. (1927) Stéréoscope perfectionné. Via: data.inpi.fr ↩︎