Stéréo-Classeur Leroy

Home » Stereoscopes » Tray-based stereoscopes » Stéréo-Classeur Leroy

Le Stéréo-Classeur Leroy is a tray-based stereoscope that was designed by Guérin and De Lens and introduced in 1921. Émile Guérin had taken over Lucien Leroy’s company around 1919. Leroy had focused exclusively on the manufacturing of stereo cameras for more than twenty years. Leroy’s catalogue included stereoscopes from Mattey and Hemdé to complement the product range. Le Stéréo-Classeur Leroy was the first self-developed stereoscope of the company. Although Leroy probably played no role during the design phase, his name was linked to the new stereoscope. The name Leroy stood for high-quality photography products in France, and Guérin continued to use his name as brand.

Le Stéréo-Classeur Leroy is a very compact stereoscope. The viewer part of the 6 x 13 cm model measures only 22 x 21 x 20 cm. It has a different mechanism compared to most similar tray-based stereoscopes. The glass slides are clamped and lifted by two gripping arms on the left and right side of the slide tray, instead of the more common system where images are pushed from a tray by a metal finger. The stereoscope could be purchased as a separate viewer or integrated with a storage cabinet for six slide trays (like the model in this post). The viewer was available for the formats 45 x 107 mm, 6 x 13 cm and 7 x 13 cm.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Émile Guérin, Paris
Year of introduction:1921
Year of manufacture:c. 1925
Type:Tabletop
Viewer:Multiple-view
Mechanism:Tray-based
Bidirectional navigation:No
Serial number:5015
Stereoview support:Glass
Stereoview format:6 x 13 cm
Number of slides:20
Lens focussing:Yes
Inter-ocular adjustment:Yes
Eyepiece blinders:Yes
Dimensions (L x W x H):22 x 21 x 20 cm (viewer)
26.5 x 25.5 x 47.5 cm (with cabinet)
Construction:Walnut
Other features:Metal plate with Système E. Guérin & J. De Lens.

Bazin, Leroy and Guérin
Charles Dessoudeix was a watchmaker. Dessoudeix’s company was founded in 1872, and located at 47, Rue du Rocher in Paris. In 1883, he helped Albert Londe with the development of a camera shutter. A year later, they presented their first shutter, branded Londe & Dessoudeix. Dessoudeix’s company was continued by Charles Bazin in 1891. Bazin partnered with Lucien Leroy, and together they introduced Le Stéréocycle, an innovative stereo camera that became very successful. Bazin left the company in 1899, and Leroy succeeded him. For more than 20 years, Leroy’s main focus was the manufacturing of the Stéréocycle and Stéréo-Panoramique stereo camera. Leroy partnered with Émile Guérin in 1916. Guérin took over the company in 1919 or 1920 and moved to 109, Rue du Bac in Paris. Guérin introduced new products to the company’s product line. New products continued to be introduced under the name Leroy. This was proof of Leroy’s strong reputation in France.
The complete story of Bazin, Leroy and Guérin

Bibliography

  • Wing, P. (1996) Stereoscopes: The First One Hundred Years, p. 192.