Plaquette Stéréoscopique

Home » Stereoscopes » Tabletop stereoscopes » Plaquette Stéréoscopique

La Plaquette Stéréoscopique is a stereoscope for analysing aerial stereoviews. The stereoscope was introduced by Mattey after World War II, and first appeared in the 1948 catalogue. A compact and foldable Plaquette Stéréoscopique Pliant was also available, and more variants were introduced in the following years. The aerial stereoscopes of the company were primarily intended for industrial and scientific use and were probably an important product of post-war Mattey. Aerial photography had developed rapidly during the First World War and became important for the military and science.

Aerial stereoscopes were among the last new type of stereoscopy products that were introduced by Mattey. The last stereoscope patent of the company was related to aerial stereo photography and was filed in 19601. La Plaquette Stéréoscopique is packed in a wooden box, and the removable holder with achromatic lenses can be stored in a metal tubular container. The viewer is branded A. Mattey S. A. Paris, which indicates that it was manufactured in 1956 or later.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Name
Year of introduction:c. 1946
Year of manufacture:1956 or later
Type:Tabletop
Viewer:Single-view
Stereoview support:Paper stereoviews
Stereoview format:Multiple formats
Lens focussing:No
Inter-ocular adjustment:Yes
Eyepiece blinders:Yes
Dimensions (L x W x H):15 x 9 x 15 cm
Construction:Metal
Other features:With original wooden case and manuals

Mattey
Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. The most important was the acquisition of Maison Legendre in 1902, which set the foundation for Mattey’s stereoscope business.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. It still manufactured stereoscopes in 1952, although the heydays of stereoscopy were over by then. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey

References

  1. Mattey (1960) Dispositif pour examens stéréoscopiques, notamment des photographies aériennes. Via: data.inpi.fr ↩︎

Posted

in

,

by

Tags: