Pantoscope à double socle

Home » Stereoscopes » Tabletop stereoscopes » Pantoscope à double socle

The graphoscope was an English invention. The first design was patented on 1 February 1864 by Charles John Rowsell. The graphoscope was a bulky viewer, consisting of a large magnifying glass for viewing photographs or postcards. Stereo lenses were added later, and this variant was called a stereographoscope. A French compact and collapsible design, named Pantoscope, was probably introduced by Maison Fouquet around 1890. After the acquisition of Fouquet, Pantoscope was continued by Mattey. The Pantoscopes are decorative viewers, but they are cheaply manufactured, and the viewing experience is rather disappointing.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Mattey or its predecessors
Year of introduction:c. 1890
Year of manufacture:Unknown
Type:Tabletop
Viewer:Single-view
Serial number:None
Stereoview support:Paper
Stereoview format:Multiple formats
Lens focussing:Yes, by sliding the card holder
Inter-ocular adjustment:No
Eyepiece blinders:No
Dimensions (L x W x H):22 x 14 x 8.5 cm (folded)
Construction:Wood

Mattey
Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. In 1902, the company acquired Maison Legendre. Fouquet was acquired in 1908 and Pennard in 1911. These were renowned stereoscope manufacturers, and Mattey referred to these companies in his catalogues. These acquisitions also explained Mattey’s large product range, as devices from the acquired manufacturers were continued by the merged company.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. It still manufactured stereoscopes in 1952, although the heydays of stereoscopy were over by then. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey

Bibliography

  • Wing, P. (1996) Stereoscopes: The First One Hundred Years. Transition Publishing, p. 140.
  • Mattey (1922), Stéréoscopes, pp. 7-9.
  • Mattey (1936), Stéréoscopes, p. 7.

by