Métascope Spécial

Home » Stereoscopes » Tray-based stereoscopes » Métascope Spécial

Le Métascope was one of the last tray-based designs that was introduced in France, and different models were available. The model for 
45 x 107 mm glass stereoviews was named Le Métascope Spéciale. Le Métascope Universel supported interchangeable trays for 45 x 107 mm and 6 x 13 cm / 7 x 13 cm slides, so multiple stereoview formats could be viewed with a single device. Le Métamagasin included a storage compartment for storing slide trays1.

The frosted glass at the back of Le Métascope is used to illuminate the glass slides and can be removed to attach an optional projection lantern or electric illuminator. In this case, a larger frosted glass is mounted inside the device to replace the removed glass plate. To place a slide tray, the lid on the top and the front panel must be opened. The lever that loads the slides is in the down position and locked. After the slide tray is inserted, the lever is unlocked and moves upward. The first stereoview is positioned in front of the lenses. The slides are displayed one by one by pushing the lever down repeatedly. An indicator on the right side of the device shows which slide is loaded. With the lever in the locked position, the indicator can also be used to quickly navigate to a specific image.


Manufacturer:Stéréoscopes A. Mattey
Year of introduction:1926
Year of manufacture:1926–1935
Bidirectional navigation:No
Serial number:None
Stereoview support:Glass
Stereoview format:45 x 107 mm
Number of slides:25
Lens focussing:Yes
Inter-ocular adjustment:Yes
Eyepiece blinders:Yes
Dimensions (L x W x H):26 x 24.5 x 32 cm
Other features:A plate on the front shows Unis France Métascope.
The logo of the Pennard & Fouquet trademark is visible inside.


Title:Perfectionnements aux stéréoscopes
Filing date:08-02-1926
Publishing date:11-09-1926
Applicant(s):Albert-Georges Mattey

Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. The most important was the acquisition of Maison Legendre in 1902, which set the foundation for Mattey’s stereoscope business.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. It still manufactured stereoscopes in 1952, although the heydays of stereoscopy were over by then. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey


  1. Mattey (1936), Stéréoscopes, p. 43. ↩︎
  2. Mattey, A.G. (1926) Perfectionnements aux stéréoscopes. Via: data.inpi.fr ↩︎