Stéréoscope pliant en cuivre nickelé

Home » Stereoscopes » Stéréoscope pliant en cuivre nickelé

As early as 1894, Auguste Wytenhove, a manufacturer who would form the basis for Mattey’s stereoscope company, presented a simple, compact and foldable stereoscope that was marketed as Stéréoscope de Poche (pocket stereoscope). However, the most well-known example is probably the Omnium, which was designed by Lucien Bize.

Le Stéréoscope pliant en cuivre nickelé was designed and manufactured by Mattey. The viewer is made of nickel-plated copper (cuivre nickelé). When folded, it only measures 13 x 9 cm and can therefore be easily stored in a coat’s pocket. The Stéréoscope pliant was available in the formats 45 x 107 mm and 6 x 13 cm and could optionally be equipped with achromatic lenses. The presence of the Unis France trademark indicates that the viewer in this post was manufactured after 1915.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Mattey
Year of introduction:c. 1905
Year of manufacture:c. 1920
Type:Hand-held
Viewer:Single-view
Serial number:None
Stereoview support:Glass and paper card stereoviews
Stereoview format:6 x 13 cm
Lens focussing:Yes, by shifting the stereoview holder
Inter-ocular adjustment:No
Eyepiece blinders:No
Dimensions (L x W x H):13 x 9 x 14 cm (unfolded)
13 x 9 x 3.5 cm (folded)
Construction:Metal
Other features:Unis France Stéréoscopes Paris engraved between the lenses

Mattey
Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. The most important was the acquisition of Maison Legendre in 1902, which set the foundation for Mattey’s stereoscope business.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey


Posted

in

,

by