Stéréoscope Américain à chaîne interchangeable

Home » Stereoscopes » Chain-based stereoscopes » Stéréoscope Américain à chaîne interchangeable

Le Stéréoscope Américain à chaînes interchangeable is a chain-based stereoscope with an interchangeable chain unit. The interchangeable chain was an invention of Maison Legendre, one of the companies acquired by Mattey, and was introduced in 1899. After the acquisition, Legendre’s invention was patented by Mattey in 1902. The interchangeable unit was an improvement over earlier models and made it easier to replace the slides or to keep multiple 50-slide collections. The slides are placed in metal holders that are attached to a revolving chain. The mechanism will bring a new image into position by turning two large knobs on both sides of the device. The unit with the chain and holders can be removed from the wooden housing.

Because the chain-based revolving stereoscopes were based on a patent of Alexander Beckers from New York, they were known in France as “American stereoscopes”.

Specifications

Manufacturer:Mattey
Year of introduction:1902
Year of manufacture:1902–c. 1940
Type:Table-top
Viewer:Multiple-view
Mechanism:Chain-based
Bidirectional navigation:Yes
Serial number:None
Stereoview support:Glass and paper
Stereoview format:6 x 13 cm
Number of slides:50
Lens focussing:Yes
Inter-ocular adjustment:No
Eyepiece blinders:No
Dimensions (L x W x H):20 x 20.5 x 43 cm
Construction:Burr walnut
Other features:A plate on the front of stereoview Panajou Frères
The stereoscopes was acquired with small wooden frames to support 45 x 107 mm stereoviews.

Patent

Number:FR323259
Title:Chaine porte-plaques et son dispositif de commande, pour appareils stéréoscopiques
Filing date:26-07-1902
Publishing date:02-03-1903
Applicant(s):Mattey père et fils

Mattey
Mattey was one of the leading manufacturers of stereoscopes in France. The company offered the widest range of stereoscopes of all manufacturers. The company was founded in 1872, but its expansion began with the establishment of Société Mattey père et fils on 31 December 1902. The names behind the company were André Élie Victor Mattey (1844–1919), and his son Albert Georges Mattey (1873–1940). Mattey’s business grew through acquisitions. In 1902, the company acquired Maison Legendre. Fouquet was acquired in 1908 and Pennard in 1911. These were renowned stereoscope manufacturers, and Mattey referred to these companies in his catalogues. These acquisitions also explained Mattey’s large product range, as devices from the acquired manufacturers were continued by the merged company.

Société Mattey père et fils was dissolved on 1 January 1912, and the company was continued by Albert Georges as Stéréoscopes A. Mattey. The company was located at 208, Rue Saint-Maur in Paris from 1906 but moved to 15, Rue Clavel in 1936. After the Second World War, the company continued as Société des Anciens Établissements A. Mattey. It still manufactured stereoscopes in 1952, although the heydays of stereoscopy were over by then. Mattey’s products were also branded Unis France, a collective trademark to guarantee the French origin of high-quality products, made by different companies.
The complete story of Mattey

Bibliography

  • Wing, P. (1996) Stereoscopes: The First One Hundred Years. Transition Publishing, p. 200.
  • Mattey (1922), Stéréoscopes, p. 42.
  • Mattey (1936), Stéréoscopes, p. 38.

External links

  • Société Mattey père et fils (1903) Chaine porte-plaques et son dispositif de commande, pour appareils stéréoscopiques. Via: data.inpi.fr